In November there was a meeting of the directors of the Association of Health Tourism and the Alanya Association of Touristic Business Managers in Alanya. According to the World Tourism Organization, the aggregate number of tourists who go to other countries in order to have medical treatment is going to reach over 20 million people. And Turkey has become one of the most popular destinations for medical treatment. According to the last figures, the number of tourists visited Turkey for medical tourism is more than 200 thousand people. It was prompted at the meeting that it is one of the perspective ways to get more foreign currency to Turkey's economy. Moreover, people who go on health tourism are mostly famous that can be rewarding to the country.
What are the popular medical procedures among foreign tourists?
As it is known, Turkey attracts millions of tourists by the gentle sun, the warm sea and beautiful landscape. But among those tourists there are people who prefer to combine their holidays with having medical treatment. A large percentage of medical tourists come to Turkey for:
- thermal spa treatments,
- cosmetic plastic surgery,
- dental care,
- eye surgery,
- cancer treatments.
What makes Turkey a popular health tourism destination?
- Medical care savings. People from western European countries like the UK, Germany, the Netherlands and Canada and the United States are attracted by 50-60 percent price difference when compared with the same treatments in these countries.
- Western-trained doctors, modern healthcare services, JCI and ISO-accredited hospitals and clinics. It is worth mentioning, that there are at least 47 hospitals and clinics which are JCI-accredited. They provide internationally-recognized standards of care. People from less-developed countries are attracted by the skilled healthcare staff and the newest systems and devices.
- Convenient geographic location. The region is situated between Europe and Asia which enables a quick access and shorter flight times almost from any destination in the world.
- Opportunity to enjoy the cultural and historic wealth of the country, beaches and shopping while having treatment.
Healthcare tourism in Turkey is a great chance to combine affordable treatment with vacations.